Saturday 17 August 2013

A Review of the book 'The Way Farther' by Shri OS Atri


Book Review  

The Way Farther –‘Something Behind The Curtain’

O.S. Atri

It is difficult for a layman like me to write about matters- Metaphysical- I mean transcendental and Spiritual. I was, however, excited and thrilled to go through the book; hence my impressions albeit in brief.
First thing first- the book makes you recollect another world famous book- An Autobiography of a Yogi. There is however a problem best expressed in a Chinese saying:
“Those who know, they do not speak,
Those who don’t know, they speak!”
It is indeed a mistaken notion though. Those who have experienced the thrill of knowing matters- spiritual and transcendental must share it with the mankind for universal benefit as Paramhans Yoganand rightly did. And now Mishraji follows it with a real lucid exposition of spiritual matters in his simple and beautiful style.
Secondly, Indian Philosophy is totally different from Western philosophy. In Western philosophy it is more of a mental exercise than a spiritual experience of the ultimate reality. Kant called it- ‘Something behind the curtain’. Really he stopped short of knowing the ultimate Reality! Significantly the precise word for philosophy in Sanskrit is Darshan Shastra. It means being face to face with the Truth! In India metaphysical matters are not a mental exercise but self realization of the ultimate reality. That is why all important question- Have you seen God? - is so easily and affirmatively answered by saints and sages in India. The classic example is that of Vivekanand and his guru Ramkrishna Paramhans. In brief spiritual enlightenment is a practical reality in India. Mishraji’s experiences are real and vivid and it is an exciting and thrilling journey to accompany him on his ‘The Way Farther’, the transcendental!  It is as adventurous and ennobling as the Pilgrim’s Progress of John Bunyan.
Another important feature of Indian philosophy is the concept of transmigration of Soul that includes the concept of reincarnation also. It explains the mystery of life more logically and convincingly. It also explains the phenomenon of spiritual enlightenment. The classic example is that of Lord Buddha. The miracle of enlightenment happens in a split of a second, but it is a result of the culmination of years (of Sadhna or tapasya) – may be of many lives of search for the Ultimate Reality. In Mishra’s autobiographical narrative there are many references and instances of seekers engaged in spiritual experiments with truth. His memoirs are in fact the Summing up of a Life-long spiritual journey.
In the end, the worth of the book is truly enhanced by the writer’s wide and deep knowledge of the Vedas and the important Scriptures. In many chapters and the three appendices he has so beautifully simplified the complex-profound religious texts and spiritual experiences. Like his books- The Gita For All, The Vedas For All, World: The Abode of God, The Way Farther will be popular and widely acclaimed and appreciated. To conclude- The Way Farther is a compact encyclopedia of spiritual knowledge and wisdom with a message-“To be spiritually minded is life and Peace’ Kant.

Krishna Bhawan, 492 Nanak Ganj, Sipri Bazar, Jhansi 284003, mob- 09565158811

4 comments:

  1. Congrats for this New Arrival, Mishra ji and big applauds for Prof. O.S.Atri who has very kindly taken a lead to review it with his wise comments. Though I haven't gone through this book, but AS OF NOW Prof. Attri's comments are enough to enlighten me about the contents. I do feel that Mishraji, as a seeker have had great spiritual experiences and with regard to Prof. Atri's quoting Chinese saying I would like to put it in a little bit different way.."Those who know, they are speechless because HE is beyond expressions and Those who don't know..they only talk about their own beliefs & not about the TRUTH. I am also one of them. For example one of my beliefs is that Energy and Matter both are interdependent and Energy (Chaitanya) whether it cosmic or earthly, it cannot work without a medium (jad). ...As a layman I also feel like Prof. Atri many times but it is like running in a tunnel which has no end.
    Anyways, it is indeed a great pleasure for me personally and tonight I am making to trip to Bhopal by Dakshin Express and hopefully I would have a one to one meeting with Mishra ji who is more than a friend of mine...With warm Regards to Mishraji & Gurudev Prof. Atri. -Ramesh: 9211688748

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I have received these comments from Shri Ramesh Chandra Shah yesterday)

    Dr. Ramesh Chandra Shah
    Sahitya Vachaspati
    (Awarded Padmshri by the President of India)
    1st January 2014

    Dear Mishraji
    I’d read your book from cover to cover long ago- in fact just within two days after you had gifted it to me. Imagine my folly…. I kept waiting for your address while it was already at the end of the book. Wonder how I missed it. It’s only today that I discovered it. Sorry for the delay thus caused by my incredible mistake (oversight).
    It was exhilarating – to say the exact- the experience of going these scintillating pages of yours. While I found the earlier chapters enchanting and even mind-bogglingly gripping, the later part of the book gave great satisfaction to my scholarly inclinations. You have marshaled all the material at your disposal with authority and conviction. It is surely the best introduction for any aspirant about undertaking a serious study of the Vedic Texts. I myself, I recall, was motivated most by the study of Shri Aurobindo’s ‘Secrets of The Vedas’. Your reading of the various Suktas on Gods etc. carries complete conviction and that is why the reader too- for all his ignorance or skepticism about such matters, is drawn irresistibly into the charmed circle of your knowledge. I particularly like your description of the Rigvedic poetry as ‘an eternal epic of human aspirations.’ That indeed is the fact. I found your views on the dramatic dialogues and philosophy too very persuasive and incisive. I was astonished at your familiarity with the latest developments in the sphere of scientific knowledge and the widespread craving of the metaphysical certainties that can counteract the ‘baffling questions. Here I fully endorse your deep understanding of the relevance of wisdom of ‘Prithivi sukt’ in particular.
    Then there are the appendices- so interesting and informative. You gave the original Vedic verses too along with your translation. In Appendix 2 and even in Appendix 3.
    Let me reiterate my gratitude to you for offering, me an opportunity to share and mutually participate in your valuable experiences. I know I will be revisiting the soulful contents.
    Thank you again and again with greetings for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for leaving a signed copy of your book - Way Farther. After returning to the US, I went through the book, and I thoroughly enjoyed the content.

    I liked the introductory chapter - Sagar, The Source. I particularly enjoyed the way you connected Sagar to Rigveda 10/129/1 in your preface.

    Second chapter - Himalaya, The Stair, had a fabulous start. I felt that two incidences that took place in two different time zones of life, are somewhat hard to inter connect. But again, it is required before preparing the stage for Agniyoga.

    I absolutely love the third chapter on Agniyoga. What a splendid job in introducing the term Agniyoga, relating it to Kathopanishad story of Nachiketa, and finally further strengthening the story via referring to sacrifice of knowledge in Bhagvat Gita. I also like the way you smoothly introduced the concept of Kundalini and chakras to set the stage for next chapter Bijakshars.

    Chapter - Bijakshars, is a nice and concise summary of chakras, and their connect with linguistics. This is what I enjoyed in this chapter - in the preface you wrote that our outer and inner are uniquely interlinked. At the end of the chapter where you write about how our Sthool body is shaped according to the Sukshma body, I think is the climax of this chapter, where suddenly everthing starts making sense.

    I think that any person with general intellect and riddle solving attitude will genuinely like the next chapter - Aspiratingly Non-aspirating and Being. I like the way you introduced Pranayam as a language to communicate with the subtle soul.

    Aspects of faith and devotion seemed like a known chapter. This is because you narrated this experience to me when we met in Denver during your last visit.

    The summary on vedas and commentary on Rigveda is a good read. Similarly, I found appendix 3 quite informative and inspirational.

    There are a few questions I am leaving behind, as they can not be addressed in the boundaries of an email conversation. Hopefully, we will get a chance to discuss them upon your arrival here in April, 2014.

    Respectfully Yours,
    Anshuman Mishra

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some valuable comments I have received on my book 'The Way Farther'

    ReplyDelete